Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A New Challenger Approaches

Looking across the street I had to admit that the sight of those teenagers hanging around outside the place made me wary. Maybe it's the generation gap. Granted it's only been five years since I was a teenager, but they looked like creatures from another world, particularly the guys wearing what appeared to be their little sisters pants. Do fads really change that much in five years?
Luckily the entrance was along the side of the building. I quickly stepped in and lifted my hat up a bit to savor the air conditioning. It was a small room. The coffee table and sofa along the wall dominated most of the space. There were also a pair of tables along the opposite wall and along the window as well. The display case stood tall, sectioning off almost the entire back part of the room, leaving only a small corridor for the register, counter top, and the connecting door to the Rock community center.
The rafters in the ceiling were visible, which fit well with the bare brick wall along one side. It almost felt like a set piece for a 90's TV show, but gave the room a cozy enough atmosphere. I would expect it to be crowded after the local schools let out but as it's been a few hours since it was rather empty.
The flat screen TV along one wall was muffled by the sounds of a local rock station emanating from hidden speakers. At least I didn't see them on my first glance. It also served to drown out much of the noise from the open door to the community center. Thankfully. Still, looking through the window at the pool table and computers they had, I was starting to wonder why I didn't have a place like that when I was in high school.
I had stumbled across this place last week on the way home from the barber shop. I was half out of it from the walk and the hot sun overhead when I saw the brilliant display atop the building. I thought it was a mirage but decided to chance it anyway. When I made it inside, I asked the guy at the counter for a white mocha. I was stunned when he asked me if I wanted it "on the rocks". Finally! Someone who speaks my language! The first sip was pure bliss as well, which was why I had to come back again today.
There was a different guy behind the counter this time. He needed some clarification as to what on the rocks meant, but he didn't do a bad job at all. They definitely have some quality talent working here. And judging by the display case, some delicious looking pastries as well. I would've picked a cheese danish, but I'm trying to watch my waistline.
From the chat I overheard the last time I was here, it seems 50% of the proceeds to go the community center. I'm surprised they're able to price their drinks competitively and still manage to keep the place open when making that much of a donation.
While I was waiting for my drink, I noticed a chess board had been set up on the coffee table. I figured it was abandoned and commandeered the spot, noticing the box for it under the table. There were a few other games under there as well, so I guess it's the property of the establishment. It's been awhile since I've played, so I figured I may as well get some practice against myself since there didn't seem to be anyone else around at that moment.
A few minutes later, I had my black queen pinned between a knight and a hard place when an eager young man came in from the other room and poised himself behind the chair in front and to my left with his camera, readying for a shot. I think he even clicked one off before asking for permission, saying I just "looked cool". I'm not usually one for getting my picture taken by a complete stranger, but I was young once. And he must have been going through his artistic phase. Besides, who doesn't like looking cool?
Without looking up from the board, I shrugged and said "Sure, go ahead". I still tipped my hat a bit forward over my eyes. I sometimes get strange reactions when I wear a wide brim, but this was the first time someone wanted to take my picture over it. I couldn't think of another reason for it at least.
He left just as suddenly as he came, leaving me alone to finish my game. I was about to put the black king into check when another youth came in to check out what I was doing, taking a seat across from me. His dark eyes scanned the board, and he paid rapt attention to my moves.
If it's one thing I dislike more than playing against myself, it's being watched while I do it. Turning the board around, I reset the pieces and asked if he wanted to play. He accepted my offer and decided to play as black. Which was fine by me, although I'm used to being on the defensive.
I started by occupying the center squares right away. Back in seventh grade, my science teacher had taught me the four move checkmate. He didn't really teach how to block it, that was something I learned on my own. When I took the center, the boy cleared the path for his bishop. Just like my old teacher had done.
The strategy I made up to defeat this maneuver is a little something my friend Travis likes to call The Pawn Phalanx. At least that's what he dubbed it after I had beaten him in a few games. By using my pawns to back each other up, his bishop cannot penetrate to my king. And it leaves a rather cluttered field, allowing my pieces to defend each other up from many angles. It's not a perfect strategy, but it's good enough to beat novices.
I took a sip from my cup as the kid contemplated his next move. In a few minutes, I had already had his king on the run. But he showed promise, keeping my queen under pressure. And he made short work of my second one when I was able to promote a pawn. But with my stronger positioning, I was able to fork his king between my queen and a rook. He wasn't the type to accept defeat lightly, it seemed. He eagerly accepted a rematch.
Four games later and he was called away by a young girl, presumably his little sister. Smart kid, but he could use some more experience to help him think outside the box. Somehow, in spite of the odd fashion trends, I don't think that will be as much of a problem for his generation as it seemed to be for mine. All anyone really needs is just room to learn and grow.
A buzzing from my phone snapped me from my thoughts, and I pulled it from my pocket to check the new text message. There's this Italian place that isn't too far from here, but I never really had the opportunity to check it out. Apparently I'm not the only one anxious to try it out, as an acquaintance of mine is asking if I would accompany her. I was never one to turn down a good meal. Particularly if the company is good.
I reset the board, leaving the pieces as I found them, poised to do battle once again. I wonder how long it'll take before someone else takes it up. I lifted my hat to soak in as much of the air conditioning as I could before clapping it back on and walking back into the fading summer sun.

Eagles Landing Coffee House
4808 Townsend Ave, Los Angeles, CA
(323) 257-6102

No comments: