Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Lady In White

It's been awhile since I took the bus through Pasadena. Research for my novel usually takes me downtown, and my usual haunts are in Glendale. But I was supposed to meet an old friend today, and this was more convenient for her.
I got off the bus at Colorado and Fair Oaks, walking south. There's a bridal shop at Green that caught my eye, and I paused at a window to look at a dress, wondering how she would look in white. If things had gone different, I might have proposed. As it is, I'm a little miffed that she didn't send me an invitation; I could have scored a dance with a bridesmaid. In any case, I was surprised to hear from her, even if her marriage didn't work out.
I walked on to the next shop over, a squat little cafe that was dwarfed by the surrounding buildings. Through the windows, I could see that space was at a premium, but it looked comfortable enough with a sofa and coffee table taking up the corner just to the right of the door. The left side had five small tables, two of which were pushed together so a study group could spread their books out. And through the windowed door on the opposite corner of the sofa, I could see a small patio area with a fountain outside. Looks nice enough, but even with the breeze, I didn't feel like being out in the sun.
The barista looked busy, but took the time to set aside what he was doing to take my order. I asked for a white mocha, on the rocks, and was pleasantly surprised with the price. He went to work immediately as I slipped a dollar into the tip jar and looked around for a seat.
Glancing around the room, I decided on a spot on the wall by the window. I might have picked the table in front if not for the sun; I wanted to see her coming. The speaker up in the corner behind me was streaming out a slow Latin mix, songs about love, passion, and desire. Thankfully, it was low enough for the chatter among the students at the other table to drown it out.
The counter was stocked with a few pastries, parfaits, as well as a small sampling of fresh fruit. The oranges looked especially inviting, but I'd rather not get juice on my tie. The chalk board behind the counter showed an expansive menu of hot and cold coffee, tea, and some sandwiches as well, although the prices weren't listed. If the price of a drink was anything to go by, I doubt they would break the bank.
The place was suddenly enveloped in shadow as the sun dipped behind the building across the street. It took only a moment for my eyes to adjust, the overhead lighting providing enough illumination. As cozy as this place was, I could imagine taking a date here. It might prove problematic if I were to bring my laptop, as the power outlets seemed concentrated close to the counter and over by the sofas. There didn't seem to be any at the corner I've taken up, but then a notepad and pen don't need a charge.
It was only about two to three minutes from placing my order when the barista dropped off my drink at the table. It wasn't the best white mocha I've had, but it's up there, and the price is certainly right. There are few things as enjoyable as a cool drink on a warm day, and I took my time savoring it.
About twenty minutes, and five stanzas later, I looked up from my notebook when my phone buzzed with a text message. I took it out, my eyes flicking over the screen before darting to the window. She used to be a dirty blonde, but her hair was now a reddish brown, coming down past her shoulders. It went well with her green eyes, and in looking at her white sundress, I was starting to get an idea about that musing I had earlier. She beckoned to me with her fingers, and I tucked my notebook into my back pocket, finishing my coffee in one last sip.
Before I left, I made a quick stop at the counter to pick up a card, a white one that said Cafe Alibi in silver lettering with the address on the bottom. If things go well, I might see her again. And this place is close enough to Old Town to grab a coffee before a dinner date. I'll be crossing my fingers, but I'm not holding my breath. Green eyes are always trouble.

Cafe Alibi: 84 S Fair Oaks Ave, Pasadena, CA
(626) 578-7779

No comments: